August 12, 2019
Qmee recipes – treacle tart
The recipe we’ve chosen this week is for a classic British dessert – delicious!
Treat family and friends to a comforting treacle tart with crumbly pastry and rich filling. You can serve with either ice cream or clotted cream – whichever you fancy.
Take a look at the ingredients and method below.
Here’s what you’ll need…
For the pastry:
250g plain flour
Half tsp fine salt
Cold unsalted butter, cubed
3 tbsp icing sugar
2 medium egg yolks
2-3 tbsp cold water
For the filling:
400g golden syrup
1 ball stem ginger in syrup, finely chopped, plus 50g of the syrup
1 lemon, zested
2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
100g fine fresh white breadcrumbs
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- Sieve the flour and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub together with your fingers to a fine breadcrumb-like texture (you can also do this part in a food processor).
- Stir though the icing sugar, then quickly add the egg yolks and 2 tbsp water, mixing swiftly with a cutlery knife to combine.
- Form into a ball (add another tbsp water if you need to), wrap and chill for 30 mins. Roll out to the thickness of a pound coin, and line a 22cm fluted tart tin with the pastry, leaving an overhang.
- Return to the fridge for 30 mins.
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Put a baking sheet into the oven to heat up.
- Line the pastry case with baking parchment and baking beans, then put in the oven on the baking sheet, and bake for 15 mins.
- Remove the parchment and bake for a further 10 mins or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Leave the pastry to cool before trimming off the overhanging edges with a small serrated knife.
- Lower the oven temperature to 160C/140C fan/gas 4.
- Combine the golden syrup, ginger, ginger syrup, lemon, eggs and breadcrumbs in a bowl, briefly whisking everything together until combined.
- Carefully pour the filling into the pastry case put in the lower part of the oven to bake for 35-40 mins or until the filling is just set.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool down for 20 mins before serving with ice cream or thick clotted cream.